Saturday, February 04, 2012

temp basal FTW!!

i love potato chips.  my favourite used to be ketchup.  then i moved on to sour cream and onion. 
when doritos first came out, (many, many years ago) they became my new friend.  i still love plain chips.  just regular old plain chips.  dipped in french onion dip, they have a special place in my heart.  (they may or may not have had a hand in the heart related health issues i have gone through last year).

lately, i have migrated to a salt-reduced diet (heart healthy!!), and so have been trying out different types of salt free or sodium reduced chips.  Ruffles lightly salted are pretty good.  Kettle Brand low sodium are good too.  they only have 5mg of sodium per 28gr of chips.  i figure if i eat low sodium i am doing my heart a service, and still enjoying possibly my favourite snack food.

however, as much as i love my chippies, i hate them too.  well not them exactly.  just what they do to my blood sugars!  OMG.  until i really started taking care of my Diabetes, i would just sit and eat a whole dam bag of chips.  i wouldn't even give it a thought, or if i did, it was fleeting! i didn't test.  i didn't bolus.  i just munched away, not giving a rats ***. 

since i have been on the pump (coming on 9mths!), i have been diligent about measuring my carbs and bolusing for all of them.  and so when i want a snack in the evening, i will some nights reach for my new low sodium chips, measure them out carefully (using my scale), and bolus accordingly.  and still my BG's are through the roof!

which makes me mad at potato chips.  i then swear off them.  i promise myself i will eat celery and carrot sticks instead.  or melba toast with peanut butter spread on it. 

last week i fell of the celery wagon.  i broke.  i brought home chips.  hey, don't judge, they were on sale 2/$5!! 

and i measured, and bolused.  and enjoyed them.  and then i did something i have never done. 

i set a temp basal for +30% for 3hrs and went to bed. 

i slept through the alarm i set to go off after 3hrs.  i didn't get up til 7am.  i turned on the Tassimo, and made my coffee.  then i got out my stuff and tested. 
......................6.5!!!  OMG! i couldn't believe it!

later that night, i decided to test out my theory of the previous night. i broke out the chippy's.  again, i measured, bolused, ate, set a temp basal of +30% for 3hrs and went to bed.

next morning  6.8! 

i think i love my temp basal!  i may have to try this out with a few of my other favourite foods, like chinese and pizza. 

FTW Temp Basal!!!   YAAAY!!

4 comments:

  1. I haven't done a temp basal so this is interesting. Although, I will do a combo bolus with pizza.
    Chinese - haven't had it in years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same love/hate relationship with chippies too! I go high no matter what I bolus. I'm going to do this next time. wicked! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh potato chips! I haven't found any way that I can eat them and not overdo it. Sigh. I'm a T2 and not on insulin so I can't do much to prevent a high from chips. I can exercise after I eat them but I'm better off just avoiding them. sigh again. I'm glad you found a way to have your chips and eat them too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!!! (And now you have me craving chips and all their crunchy salty goodness). I love the temp basal too. I use it for Chinese and pizza, like you said, and also for Mexican food. I really does make a huge difference, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete