Tuesday, November 06, 2012

November ~ a busy month

This month, November, is one busy month for me!

Not only is it my daughter's birthday, it's my birthday as well.  I will be turning 50!  I'm not really sure how that happened!

I will also be recognizing the fact that I have lived for 38 of those 50 years with Diabetes.  There will not be a party.  No guests, no balloons, no cake, no champagne.  I'll just give myself a little pat on the back for surviving this long with a disease that shows no sympathy.  One that never backs off.  Never takes a vacation.   One that I've managed primarily by myself for a really, really long time.  Of course I've had the support of my husband, children, family and friends.  Also many doctors, some good ones, some not so good ones over the years.  But even with all that support, us diabetics do this on our own.

I will however, be celebrating November as Diabetes Awareness Month.  There is so much going on this month!  It is very exciting!
 
We have the Big Blue Test going on.  Taken from the Bigbluetest.org website,
here is a  little of what it is all about, and how it helps.
 
"The Big Blue Test is a program of the Diabetes Hands Foundation that encourages people with diabetes to test their blood sugar, exercise for 14-20 minutes, test again and share their experience on BigBlueTest.org. For every test, people with diabetes in need receive life-saving supplies through Big Blue Test grants that are awarded to humanitarian diabetes charities in the US and around the world, made possible thanks to the program sponsor.
In 2012, Roche Diabetes Care, makers of ACCU-CHEK® diabetes products and services, sponsors Big Blue Test once again donating $5 for each entry submitted on BigBlueTest.org, to help us touch even more lives. This year, we’re seeking to reach 20,000 Big Blue Test entries, which will translate into a donation of up to $100,000 that will help save lives.
Help yourself and help others. Get active, join the movement: do the Big Blue Test every day!"

So get going!  Test your BG, get active, re-test and then go to the above website and log your results!!  Do it today, and tomorrow and the next!

We also have Lee Ann Thill's brain child The World Diabetes Postcard Exchange, going on!  I've been waiting for this one!  I can't wait to get my exchange names, and get my postcards mailed out!   I'm really excited about this one too!  I love the artsy stuff!

November 14th is World Diabetes Day.  It is led by the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) and engages millions of people all over the world in diabetes advocacy and awareness.  It was created in 1991 and draws attention to "issues of paramount importance to the diabetes world and keeps diabetes firmly in the public spotlight".

This is done through events such as
  • Radio and television programmes
  • Sports events
  • Free screenings for diabetes and its complications
  • Public information meetings
  • Poster and leaflet campaigns
  • Diabetes workshops and exhibitions
  • Press conferences
  • Newspaper and magazine articles
  • Events for children and adolescents
  • Monument lightings
  • Human blue circles
  • Walks
  • Runs
  • Cycle Race
  • Political Events
The pharmacy that I use is holding a free screening and an information sessions this month,  in collaboration with the Canadian Diabetes Association.  They will be discussing issues such as foot care, vision care, healthy shopping, and monitoring your blood sugars.  Aimed primarily at newly diagnosed Diabetics and their families, it's a great reminder of things for an old-timer like myself!

What are you doing for Diabetes Awareness Month?



 



  

2 comments:

  1. Kim, I'm patting you on the back too. 38 years with diabetes is nothing survived easily without much effort, energy, willpower, and down-right stubbornness.

    Bravo, my sister, bravo.

    (and happy birthdays to you and your daughter!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Scott, for the pat on the back. I really appreciate it.
      And thank you for the birthday wishes also!

      Delete