Friday, April 05, 2013

fruit flies and pantyhose

Monday I noticed a few dots hanging about in my left eye.  What appeared to be little fruit flies flying around in front of me.  Problem was, when I swatted at them, they didn't go away.  Then it got a little worse.  It was like looking through  a pair of pantyhose.  Like a fine mesh over my eye.  Kind of hard to see through.
sort of like this only finer
 


This is not the first time this has happened.   A couple of years ago the same type of thing appeared in my right eye.  It made it hard to drive, read, watch TV.  Work on the computer was nearly impossible.

I tried keeping that eye closed while doing those things.  Then I made myself an eye patch.  Oh it was something to be seen!  I made it out of blue card stock and stuck it under my glasses. My family laughed at me!  I looked ridiculous of course!  

It took quite some time for that bleed to finally clear up.  This one has pretty much disappeared already.
For that I am thankful.    

I go to my Opthamologist every 6 months.  That is unless something weird happens.  Lucky for me I go next Wednesday.  I will tell him about this latest group of "floaters".  He may decide to do some laser surgery.  But then again, perhaps not.  Since it has cleared rather quickly, I am hoping not. It is not a comfortable procedure.  

Have you ever had laser eye surgery?  Your pupil is enlarged and your eye is "frozen" with drops. A lens is placed over the eye.  This helps to keep your eye open, and allows access for the laser to do it's job.  The laser is like a million, gazillion needles poking in your eye at a rapid fire pace! Approximately 2500 to 3000 tiny burns. You try to blink but you can't.  Tears are running down your face, but your head is clamped (sort of) in a device that will not allow you access to your streaming eye.  The other eye is also tearing up (in sympathy).  

not only are you clamped but they hold you there too!! just kidding!
The whole procedure doesn't take very long, but I sure do get a headache afterwards.  And inside my eye is a rainbow of colours.  I must remember to bring my sunglasses and someone to drive me home.  Light is painful for a few hours.  Driving is impossible.  

I have had this done many times over the years, but it has been several years since the last time.  

I sure hope I can avoid it this time.    

2 comments:

  1. I haven't had laser. Yet. My ophthalmologist says I may need it down the track. Thanks for that lucid description!! Lol.

    Hope it all goes well. We're lucky we have laser available now.

    Now to try to discern the numbers & letters to prove I'm not a robot. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been lucky enough to have avoided laser surgery so far, and I'm hoping my luck holds out. But then again, we do what we have to do - and it's certainly better than the alternative. But ugh!!!! I hope you get the all clear at your appointment!! I'll send good eye thoughts!

    ReplyDelete